Thursday, July 19, 2012

Finding the Time

Back in 2002-2003 I was spending a lot of time in the gym, most days it was 4-5 hours a day.  I was single, working 8 hours a day 5 days a week and just didn't have much else to do.  I was in the best shape of my life and was loving it.  I was not eating very healthy and as a result had not lowered my body fat percentage low enough to reach my goal of having a well defined "six pack."  Still I was very happy with how I looked and how I felt, and I swore that I'd never let myself get so out of shape again. None of us ever plans to gain weight, to let our health go or to become obese.  But, that is exactly what happened as my bad diet continued and my exercise ceased.  I found excuses for why I was letting myself go or why I couldn't exercise, the most common one being, "I'm just too busy and can't find the time."  Not that this was a lie, I was busy, few of us these days have any free time.  More often than not we are busy from the moment that we wake to the minute we lay our heads down at night.

I told myself, "if I could only find the time!"  I would workout, and get healthy.  As I changed jobs it really seemed that this would be impossible for me.  Working for a drilling company, I began working 13.5hrs a day 20 days on and 10 days off.  I never had any energy and even on my days off, just wanted to rest and relax.  After watching my beautiful wife push herself and workout everyday for years, I finally reached a point where I could no longer stand the way that I looked and felt.  My wife's example had inspired me to change.  I began eating better and working out 30-45 minutes a day 5-6 days a week.  Till, she became a Beachbody Coach.  Feeling that I was ready to increase the duration and intensity of my workouts, and also as a show of support towards my wife in her new venture, I began P90X.

In a few days I will have completed six weeks of the program.  Many of those days working 13.5 hours  outdoors and on my feet, only to come home and workout for 50-90 minutes.  I have no secret and never did "find" the time to workout.  But, I did find the burning desire to change myself, enough so that I decided to make the time.  To make my workout a priority, to hold myself accountable and show up everyday just as I do for work.  I thought that giving up that amount of sleep everyday would leave me drained and tired, but though I have had days that I feel worn down, most of the time I feel that I have more energy and that I'm more able to face the day and it's challenges.

In short, look and look but you will never find.  There is no extra time, just lying around waiting to be discovered!  Make the time, Make those things that mean the most to you the highest priority.  Make time for family, health, and self-improvement...And in the long run they will make time for you!

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring Harry, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! I still have a lot of work to do and a long ways to go. But, I'm very excited to get into the best shape of my life and reach fitness goals that I have put off for far too long. And hoping that along the way I can share, encourage and help others reach their health and fitness goals!

    ReplyDelete