Friday, July 26, 2013

Confessions of a Workout Junkie...Part 1! Love the Sweat...Hate the Smell

I will be the first person to admit that I have a problem.  I am honestly a Workout Junkie, who just can't seem to get enough.  I'm addicted to the natural high that comes with an intense workout, as the result of your body producing Endorphins, Dopamine and Norepinephrine.  I feel most confident, self assured and at times even unstoppable when I am completely covered in sweat.  In fact not only do I not look forward to my rest days or days off...most of the time I don't take them.  Don't get me wrong if I feel worn out and feel that my body is starting to experience the symptoms of overtraining I make sure to rest and allow my body time to heal.  But, we'll save that discussion for another day. :-)

Being totally drenched, when working out, is like a badge of honor!  You wear it with pride and everyone around knows that you earned every last bead of sweat.  They understand the determination and the effort that you put forth to become more physically fit, and to change the way that you look/feel.  Most people can appreciate what you're doing and some are even inspired by your actions.  However, for some of us, there are unpleasant side-effects from working out that last long after we are done.  Believe it or not, sweat itself is actually colorless and odorless.  But when it mixes with bacteria found on the skin, that is when it gains its offensive smell.  After a while our workout clothes seem to have a permanent odor that we are unable to get rid of.
  











I have tired any number of products to help eliminate or reduce these odors, but have only had mixed results thus far.  Some of the products that I have used in the past are: Tide with Febreze, a number of different fabric softeners, various dryer sheets and oxyclean laundry additive/stain remover.  Most of these products seem to help a little, but none really ever made my clothes smell fresh for very long.

The latest product that we've begun to use is Downy's UNstopables in-wash scent booster.  To be honest with you, I lead a busy lifestyle and very rarely watch TV or even keep up with the news or current events.  On top of that, when out shopping I'm usually the type that goes in with a list and plans on getting done as quickly as possible.  So I had not seen or heard about these until my brother had brought them home.  After using these for the last three weeks, I would have to say that this product has been the most effective at removing/covering up the unpleasant odor of my workout clothes.

But, really all of this got me thinking and made me very curious to know...What tips and tricks do all of you have when it comes to fighting stubborn gym clothes odors?  I would really love your feedback and to be able to learn what works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment